Bulls to begin Big East play at home

Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 22:09

soccer

ORACLE FILE PHOTO/BOBBY BISHOP

USF senior defender Alexandra “Boo” Eagle (right) was named to the Big East weekly honor roll after helping the Bulls pick up their second consecutive shutout, against Pittsburgh in the team’s conference opener.

The last time the USF men’s soccer team entered Big East play with a 4-2-1 record, it proceeded to make history, becoming the first team in the Big East to go undefeated in conference play, going 7-0-2.  

With any luck, the Bulls hope to recreate the magic of their 2011 season.

While the 2011 team entered conference play following a win, the Bulls will enter this year after a humbling weekend that saw the team give up a 2-0 lead in a draw with Butler and lose 5-0 to the No. 9 ranked Akron Zips. The 0-1-1 weekend dropped USF to 22nd in
national rankings.

Coach George Kiefer said his team is facing it’s first real test of the year.

“I went into the locker room after practice and said that when you hit adversity it reveals character, and I was pleased because it revealed that I have 26 guys that got punched that want to get back up,” he said. “The energy out in training was as good as I’ve seen all year, which really says a lot about them as people.” 

The Bulls have the added advantage of beginning their conference schedule at home when they play Providence, a team responsible for one of USF’s two ties in Big East play. 

The game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Corbett Soccer Stadium.

Women’s Soccer heads to New Jersey

After a double overtime draw to start its conference campaign, the USF women’s soccer team heads to New Jersey for a pair of Big
East games. 

With defense led by senior defender Alexandra “Boo” Eagle and freshman keeper Christiane Endler, the Bulls look to get their third consecutive clean sheet when they face the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Friday at 7 p.m. Eagle was named to the Big East weekly honor roll after her strong performance during the team’s 0-0 draw with Pittsburgh.

“What an incredible job they did,” coach Denise Schilte-Brown said after Sunday’s game. “Boo Eagle was just outstanding for 110
minutes. They didn’t have room to breathe. Every time she intercepted (the ball), she didn’t just clear it. She cleanly connected it.” 

Following its game against Rutgers, the team will travel from Piscataway to South Orange, for a match against Seton Hall at 1 p.m. on Sunday. 

Volleyball team heads to Big East play

With conference seasons getting started across the athletics landscape, the USF volleyball team will embark on its Big East schedule on the road this weekend.

The Bulls look to continue their six-game winning streak when they head to Piscataway on Saturday to play the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at 2 p.m. The team will then follow the women’s soccer team to South Orange to play Seton Hall on Sunday at 2 p.m.