Bulls lose in blowout to No. 24 Marquette

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 7, 2013 01:02

From the tipoff to the final buzzer, the Bulls (10-12, 1-9) proved to be no match for No. 24 Marquette in the Sun Dome on Wednesday night.

The score said it all when USF fell to the Golden Eagles (15-5, 7-2) for a second time this season in a disappointing 70-47 loss for the Bulls.

“We just got to find a way to be ourselves, be a little tougher, a little bit more  efficient on the offensive end and not put our heads down when things go wrong,” coach Stan Heath said.

Though it wasn’t Marquette’s junior guard Vander Blue who exposed the Bulls’ defense this time around, it was business as usual for the Golden Eagles as a whole, who continued its shooting success from the last meeting with USF when Marquette won, 63-50.

As Marquette looked unstoppable through the crowd’s roaring “boo”s in reaction to a few calls not going USF’S way early on, the Bulls didn’t help the cause.

Those few calls by the referees early in the game soon turned into more than just a few. USF racked up 10 personal fouls in the first half. Ten minutes into the game the Bulls had more turnovers than they did attempts from the field, which showed that their aggressive style of play wasn’t working out.

“I think part of it was being overly aggressive,” senior forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick said. “They play really aggressive, so we tried to play aggressive.”

By the end of the first half—a half that featured an early blowout as USF was down 39-16—the Bulls managed to put up 18 attempts from the field shooting for 27 percent. USF turned the ball over 14 times by halftime.

“We dug ourselves a bad hole in the first half. Once they got out to that lead it was hard to overcome,” Heath said. “They’re a good basketball team.”

Giving the ball over to a team that was shooting 50 from beyond the arch and 53 percent from the field may have not been the best course of action for a USF team that was seeking redemption after the initial loss to Marquette two games ago.

But USF seemed to patch things up at halftime.

In the second half, the Bulls only gave the ball away five times which allowed USF to shoot more from the field.

Though the three-point range wasn’t working out well for a Bulls team that shot seven percent from deep in the second half, USF did manage went 38 percent from the field, matching Marquette’s 31 points.

But the fix was too late.

Marquette was way out in front, and by the end of the game the court consisted of freshman center Jordan Omogbehin, freshmen guard JaVontae Hawkins and forward Zach LeDay, walk-on senior guard Mike McCloskey and an unnamed walk-on.

With that line up on the court, it was clear to any fans left in the Sun Dome the game was over — and they were right.

The Bulls will play Villanova this Saturday at 3 p.m. and will try to bounce back.