Bulls look to pick up pieces against Providence

Published: Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 00:02

With seven games left in the season, a win over Providence— a team with a 12-11, 4-7 record compared to USF’s 10-13, 1-12 record — on Wednesday at 9 p.m. in the Sun Dome could mean a lot for the Bulls and its fans.

Current USF students may not even remember the last time USF fell to Providence in the Sun Dome. 

To jog the memory, it was February 2009.

Historically, the Friars look like the underdogs. But that could light a fire under the team, especially if they take advantage of the downtrodden Bulls.

USF may feel the heat as well. After all, nothing says “We need to win” like a six-game losing streak and sitting at the bottom seed of the Big East.

It’s no secret there hasn’t been too much to cheer about for the USF men’s basketball team lately.

Thirteen days. That’s how long it’s been since the Bulls experienced victory. 

USF picked up a close win at home against Georgetown on Jan. 19 when the Bulls beat the Hoyas, 61-58.

Since then, the Bulls have been quiet and inconsistent during their six-game losing streak, which could be changed if USF can manage a win over Providence tomorrow night.

The Friars will enter the Sun Dome on a two-game winning streak after beating Villanova and Cincinnati.

Providence snapped its losing streak after beating Villanova, the same team that blew out the Bulls on Feb. 9 in Pennsylvania.

The past four games in the Big East season have been rough in terms of shooting for USF, having shot under 40 percent from the field in each game, 23 percent against Villanova.

Looking back at how the Big East season has gone for the Bulls, coach Stan Heath and his team may want to try mirroring their play from earlier in the season.

USF’s out-of-conference record is 9-3, and the Big East has proved to be a challenge, handing the Bulls 10 losses, knocking them down to last place in the conference despite being picked to finish eighth in the conference.  

Finishing eighth place is still possible for the team, but hoping and praying for other teams to lose their season wasn’t the plan at the start of the season for the Bulls.

Nevertheless,  the  opportunity is still there for the Bulls. 

Seven games to go, the season is still alive.

A win gives USF much needed momentum, and a loss could be a season killer for a Bulls team that takes on No. 12 Louisville on Sunday.