Bulls get back on track with 3-0 win

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 23:09

The USF men’s soccer team got its second straight win at home Tuesday night in a dominating 3-0 victory over Florida Gulf Coast.

USF took control from kickoff, maintaining possession for most of the half and allowing numerous scoring opportunities for the Bulls.

Senior midfielder Leston Paul was the first to capitalize, scoring from in the box right in front of goal. The pass came from sophomore midfielder Wesley Charpie with 25 minutes left in the first half.

The Bulls’ defense continued to hold its ground early on, creating more possessions for the attack. After missing a few wide right, USF got into the swing of things as senior forward Kevin Olali bent one around the keeper from the left side of the box. The assist was split by junior defender Ben Sweat and senior defender Brenton Griffiths, who made a few nice moves on the outside before dishing the ball to Olali.

“I think it’s very important that our team came with the right mentality,” Olali said. “From the beginning to the end of the game our team kept up the same mentality and same momentum.”

As the Bulls headed to the locker room enjoying a comfortable 2-0 lead over the Eagles at halftime, USF looked to build on its first half momentum, which coach George Kiefer said he was proud of.

“I thought the first half was some of the best we’ve played all year,” Kiefer said. ”I felt like our movement off the ball, our spacing, the goals we got, were all quality.”

With 25 minutes to go in the match, Charpie sped down the right sideline sending in a cross to Olali, who again was in the box. The goal marked Olali’s second of the night along with Charpie’s second assist in the match.

USF’s hardnosed defense managed to hold FGCU for the remainder of the half, as the Bulls got to enjoy their second straight home win.

“It’s good to score two goals, but I don’t care about the goals,” Olali said. “Whether I score or not, it’s really the team’s win.”

The Bulls will be back in action when they head to Villanova to kick off with the Wildcats on Saturday at 1 p.m.

“I’ll give them a day off tomorrow, which is nice. We travel up north on the weekend, but I’m more focused right now on getting better,” Kiefer said. “As the week progresses we’ll start looking at who we play.”