Bedbugs exterminated in BSN again

Published: Monday, September 23, 2013

Updated: Monday, September 23, 2013 00:09

Classrooms in the Business Administration building (BSN) will reopen today after the building was closed over the weekend to be treated after more bedbugs were discovered. 

Beverly Douglas, interim director of USF’s Environmental Health and Safety, said the treatment will hopefully be the final step of treatments for the bedbugs, which were first detected in the building in August. 

The initial concern, Douglas said, was reported when a student was bitten in August in BSN 118. An exterminator came the same day to treat the room, after no presence of live bugs was detected.

A week later, during a follow-up inspection of the entire building, BSN 111 was treated after live bugs were found in the room. No bugs were found in other rooms.  

A subsequent inspection Sept. 17 found “a couple of bugs” in BSN 115, 118 and 120, which were closed and treated the next morning.

On Friday, the entire Business Administration building was closed for the weekend to treat all classrooms, offices and common areas, even where no bugs were previously found.

“Bedbugs can come up at any place or anytime due to the transient nature of classrooms,” she said. “We have people who travel in and out all day every day.”

Douglas said the bugs were found mainly in a few isolated plush desk chairs in the classroom.

Robert Volz, a senior majoring in finance, said many of his classes were in the affected classrooms, which had to change locations throughout the semester during treatments. 

Many of his classes were moved from the Business Administration building to Cooper Hall and the Communication and Information Sciences building.

“I had to go all the way to my classroom where I found out class was moved, and had to then go to another building,” Volz said. “It’s messing up my schedule and everyone else’s schedules.”

When students found out the classrooms were contaminated with bugs, Volz said word quickly spread.

“It’s gross,” he said. “I don’t want to bring bedbugs back home with me.”

The university is working to schedule a follow-up inspection in the next two weeks, Douglas said. 

These inspections will take place overnight to avoid classroom interruptions. Douglas said there is no indication that there are any bedbugs in residence halls or that these current incidences are related to any previous ones on campus.

4 comments

Anonymous
Tue Sep 24 2013 15:46
Maybe if some of the third world students would shower once In a while this could have been avoided
GreenChris
Mon Sep 23 2013 16:54
I had bed bugs last year and it was a nightmare! After spending $2000 and throwing out most of my furniture, I still had bed bugs and a toxic home. I discovered Greenbug for People online and was able to treat the bed bugs successfully myself. There is no need to use toxic pesticides because the bed bugs are resistant. Good luck getting rid of these but remember Greenbug for People when you see them again.
GreenChris
Mon Sep 23 2013 16:49
I had bed bugs last year and it was a nightmare! After several exterminators, I was out $2000 and still had bed bugs. I got online and discovered Greenbug for People which I was able to use myself to treat the bed bugs successfully. There is no reason to use toxic pesticides as the bed bugs are resistant. Good luck getting rid of these but remember Greenbug when you see more.