Alcohol off-limits to Aramark employees

Published: Thursday, September 4, 2008

Updated: Thursday, September 4, 2008 01:09

Students and USF employees can drink only after 6 p.m. and on the weekends, but Aramark

ORACLE PHOTO/JONATHAN WURTZ

Students and USF employees can drink only after 6 p.m. and on the weekends, but Aramark employees can’t drink at all at Beef ‘O’ Brady’s.

Beer isn't back for everyone at USF, even if it's after 6 p.m.

Aramark employees — anyone who works in a dining facility on campus besides the USF Bookstore — are not allowed to purchase alcohol at the Marshall Student Center's sports bar, Beef ‘O' Brady's.

"We are currently not allowing employees of Aramark to purchase alcohol on campus," said Tom Williamson, Aramark district manager.

Aramark employs 240 students across campus.

The policy is currently under revision, Williamson said, but for now alcohol is off-limits to employees.

An amendment to the policy could be made in the future to allow employees to purchase alcohol after their shifts are up for the day, said USF spokesman Michael Hoad.

Aramark's policy is similar to the USF policy brought to action Tuesday, which caused Beef ‘O' Brady's to begin serving alcohol only after 6 p.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends.

"It's from a long-standing University policy that says you can't work here if you've been drinking," said Hoad.

The University realizes that the 6 p.m. curfew will not prevent all students and employees from drinking before working or going to class, but, Hoad said, it would be impossible for the sports bar to determine who can drink and who cannot during the day.

"You can't push the responsibility onto the bartender or server," Hoad said. "They can't tell if someone is getting ready for work or just leaving from it."

Most employees declined to comment on the situation, but one manager expressed her support for the policy.

"I agree with the policy because it's highly inappropriate to be drinking while at an Aramark establishment — you're still a representative for the company," said Makeda Leon, who just graduated from USF and is working as a manager at Burger King.

Aramark's employee handbook, which was updated in July, does not mention the policy but instead refers employees to their managers and human resources directors for more information on the alcohol policy.

"It's kind of an odd policy, but I don't have a huge problem with it," said Peter Shaw, a senior majoring in English education who works at Java City in the Business building.

For some, the policy is a bit more bothersome.

"It's kind of crazy," said Rossi Lopez, a freshman elementary education major who works at the Ben & Jerry's in the Marshall Student Center. "I think it should only be when you're on the clock. It's your own life and they shouldn't control you when you're not working."

8 comments

Your name
Fri Sep 5 2008 13:23
I don't even drink and I think this is rediculous.

Beef O' Brady's will NOT last at USF if no one can drink there. Looks like we're gonna be on the road back to "Commuter school" in no time. I believe that it's time to treat adults like adults. At the end of the day this is a restaurant trying to make a profit, and if students or staff can't get a beer here, they WILL go elsewhere.. and they may even get a USF discount!.

Disgruntled employee
Thu Sep 4 2008 22:18
I have to say AMEN to the anonymous employee posting a few above. It sucks that I pay out my butt to attend this school and have to pay these ridiculous fees for this new Marshall center, and as a crappily payed Aramark employee, I can't go have a beer after my crappy shift. It would be one thing if I wasn't paying for this massive new building but I am as a student and as an employee who has heard nothing but "oh the new Marshall Center this and the new Marshall center that..." for the last three months. I have had bosses shifted, friends moved from location to location and new management brought in and out because of this new building and in the end we can't even fully enjoy it. There's your fair employer for you.
anon
Thu Sep 4 2008 22:13
Aramark does not prohibit their employees from drinking after a shift has ended however it is perfectly within the right of the company that they direct that the employees not drink on company property. The 240 students who work for Aramark choose to fill out an application and accept the job there. The company is not attempting to direct the lives of the employees it is merely looking out for its own interests as a business. If it were that important for any employee to be able to drink at the Beef's in the Marshall Center then they could choose to seek employment elsewhere and go enjoy the beer and wine .
bill
Thu Sep 4 2008 15:22
I still have my Empty Keg ID from the 70's. Beer on campus was never a problem except the time I spilled some on my homework.
Dave, USF Graduate Student
Thu Sep 4 2008 12:41
Completely agree with the above statement. In addition, I strongly believe Beef O' Brady's should sue USF for this. They bid a lot of money I'm sure to get this spot in the new student center and based that on expected profits as well as did their competitors. USF admin did NOT forget its alcohol policy as USF spokesman, Micheal Hoad, says. There were signs stating the policy all over Beef O' Bradys from day one.
anonymous
Thu Sep 4 2008 11:52
I happen to be a student who works for Aramark dining on campus. This new "policy" which is not found in any handbook, is absolutely ridiculous. For Aramark employees who are NOT students, this new rule could be acceptable. But to tell me and my co-workers, who are both employees of Aramark, STUDENTS, and caterers to the entire student body, staff, and faculty here at USF, that we cannot grab a drink after work, class, or whatever, is ridiculous. OUR STUDENT FEES, thousands of dollars worth of them, went towards PAYING for this new Marshall Center, went towards PAYING for Beef O'Bradys. We VOTED to have this restaurant on campus. It's not like we're stupid enough to walk into that place in our work uniforms and get trashed. Please help out by lobbying SG and speaking to Aramark "higher ups" on our behalf, regardless if you are a student working for Aramark or not. This is wrong and it's becoming obvious to everyone.
Mary Jane Potman
Thu Sep 4 2008 09:11
This is no different than companies drug testing employees in order to work there. What you do during non-company hours should not be up to the company to dictate.

Not cool.

John Doe
Thu Sep 4 2008 03:58
So let me get this stright ... People who work at Aramark regardless of when, can not drink.

Isn't there some civil liberty issue here? What someone does while off the clock is their business as long as it doesn't affect the company.

USF is getting a little out of control with all these restrictions on drinking. It's time for some of us to lobby SG and get something done about these wrong policies.