David Collins enters transfer portal

Senior guard David Collins (center) averaged 12.5 points and 3.4 assists this season for the Bulls. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF guard David Collins is entering the transfer portal, as reported by Verbal Commits and ESPN’s Jeff Borzello on Twitter Monday afternoon.

Collins retweeted Borzello’s post shortly thereafter and put up his own tweet reflecting on his time at USF.

Collins has spent four seasons with the Bulls, and has an extra year of eligibility to use due to the NCAA’s decision that this season would not count toward a year of eligibility for winter sport student-athletes.

In his time at USF, Collins averaged 13.3 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.6 steals per contest over 116 games, and 96 starts. He finishes his career with the Bulls as the seventh highest scorer in program history, with 1,540 points scored.

His best statistical season was his sophomore campaign during which he helped lead the Bulls to a CBI title as he scored 15.9 points per game while also adding 3.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.1 steals.

After his junior season, Collins tested the NBA waters before deciding to come back to USF to play his senior year. Now, he has the opportunity to bolster his NBA draft stock for one more season at another program in hopes of making a run at the draft in 2022.

The Youngstown, Ohio native dropped a season-high 23 points against Temple on March 11 to help the program achieve its first tournament game victory with Brian Gregory at the helm.