NOTEBOOK: Women’s basketball loses first game since Dec. 1

The women’s basketball team has back-to-back games against UCF on March 2 and 4. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The women’s basketball team lost its first conference game of the season against Houston on Saturday night 67-49 in the Fertitta Center.

In addition to being the first conference loss of the season, it is also the Bulls’ first loss since Dec. 1 which came against then-No. 4 ranked Baylor.

“I thought Houston played with a great deal of emotion, energy and enthusiasm,” coach Jose Fernandez said. “We have to give them a great deal of credit on this win.”

USF shot 18-of-49 from the field and 4-of-21 from three-point range, while also shooting 9-of-17 from the free throw line.

The Bulls are now 14-2 overall on the season with two games against UCF coming up. USF needs to win just one of those games to secure the No. 1 seed in the AAC tournament.

Football team completes first week of spring practice 

The Bulls are back on the practice field and have now wrapped up their first week of spring practices. Former Bulls and current Green Bay Packers wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling visited with the team Saturday.

“I put my blood, sweat and tears out on this practice field,” Valdes-Scantling said. “I was No. 11 out here and I made it to the next level, so guys can look at me and know it can be done.” 

USF is currently preparing for its spring game scheduled for March 27, which is a huge step up considering last year’s spring game was canceled due to COVID-19.

Leblic and Hahn named AAC players of the week

Women’s soccer players Paula Leblic and Chiara Hahn received AAC honors after picking up a 2-0 win in their conference opener against Temple. 

Leblic was named the AAC’s Defensive Player of the Week, and Chiara Hahn was selected as Rookie of the Week on Feb. 22. Leblic registered a goal and tallied an assist against Temple.

“Paula has been a great addition to our midfield, helping support our defensive and offensive efforts,” coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “Chiara has also become a key piece of our tactical execution. We’re encouraged to see the group get recognition after a great game this week.”

Men’s soccer picks up win, women’s soccer draws against UF

The men’s soccer teams beat the Temple Owls 2-1 on Saturday afternoon, while the women’s team drew 0-0 in double overtime against UF in Gainesville. 

The men’s team won its second consecutive game, while also improving its all-time record over the Owls to 7-3-1. The women’s team improved to 2-0-1.

“Our squad really executed the tactics that we asked them to today,” USF women’s coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “It was a tremendous fight and I felt like we dominated in the possession and had plenty of opportunities to finish our chances.”

The Bulls have a 45-13 advantage in shots and a 20-4 advantage in shots on goal this season.

This is the first time in program history the Bulls have opened the season with three consecutive shutouts.