Bulls drop two games against Gators in opening series

The USF softball team will play a doubleheader against North Florida on Thursday with the first game set to begin at 4 p.m. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The USF softball team (0-2) was back on the field this weekend after nearly a year off, but the season got off to a rough start as the Bulls dropped a doubleheader 6-3 and 15-0 to No. 7 Florida on Saturday.

Although Florida jumped ahead early, scoring three runs in the first inning of Game 1, USF came back to tie the score with an RBI double from junior infielder Kyndall Williams in the second inning and a two-run home run by senior infielder Brooke Hartman in the third.

After a rough first inning, junior pitcher Georgina Corrick settled down but so did senior Gator pitchers Natalie Lugo and Katie Chronister.

In the top of the seventh, Corrick was taken out and relieved by sophomore Brittany Hook after the Gators scored three more runs.

Corrick finished with nine strikeouts.

In the second game, the Gators scored three runs in the first inning and continued to dominate.

The final game of the series was scheduled to take place Sunday, but was postponed due to inclement weather. The game was moved to April 7 when USF was already set to take a trip to Gainesville. The teams will again play a doubleheader.

The Bulls will look to bounce back Thursday at 4 p.m. against North Florida in a doubleheader at the USF Softball Complex.

The game against North Florida will be streamed live on ESPN+.