Bulls add talent on National Signing Day

The Bulls have added talent and depth in all three phases of the game this offseason. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The USF football team added 11 players on National Signing Day on Wednesday, bringing the total number of new student-athletes this offseason up to 33.

Coach Jeff Scott confirmed the addition of six players via an announcement, and the other five announced their intent to play for USF on Twitter, with USF football retweeting the players’ posts.

The Bulls added 22 players on Early Signing Day back in December, including 17 high school recruits and five transfers. Of those 22 players, 14 are currently working out with the team in preparation for next season.

As for the 11 players brought in Wednesday, nine are high school recruits and two are transferring from other collegiate programs.

Both transfers are on the offensive side of the ball. Jaren Mangham is a 6-foot-1-inch running back coming from Colorado, and wide receiver Yusuf Terry is transferring from Baylor.

Other new additions on offense include tight end Connor Finer and wide receivers Zak Sedaros and Jaheim Arnold.

On the defensive side of the ball, four players were added, all of whom are coming from high school. They include defensive lineman Colby Smith, linebacker Amer Amer and safeties Lewai Mitchell and Jordan Blackmon.

Mitchell is the son of former USF linebacker Kawika Mitchell who played with the Bulls from 1999-2002. The older Mitchell also won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants in 2008.

Rounding out the 11 new players are kickers John Cannon and Will Fowler. In Cannon’s high school career, he was 13-of-19 on field goals and 137-of-149 on PATs. Fowler’s high school performance is highlighted by his 59 touchbacks on 81 kickoffs.

Winter workouts for the team began Jan. 21 as Scott and the Bulls are looking to improve upon their 1-8 record from last season.