Will Weatherford appointed to join USF’s Board of Trustees

Will Weatherford currently serves on Jacksonville University’s Board of Trustees as well as the Florida Council of 100, Florida Chamber of Commerce and TECO Energy. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/WEATHERFORD CAPITAL

As the USF Board of Trustees (BOT) navigates through a number of new budgetary challenges posed by the pandemic, they will have another helping hand in the process.

Former Florida House Speaker Will Weatherford was appointed by Gov. Ron DeSantis to join the board Wednesday. For the decision to be finalized, the appointment will have to be approved by the Florida Senate.

Weatherford was elected as representative of Florida’s 38th District in 2006 as a member of the Republican Party and served as House Speaker from 2012 to 2014. Shortly afterward, he began working as a managing partner at Weatherford Capital, a family-owned private investment firm, in 2015. 

His appointment to USF’s BOT won’t be Weatherford’s first time managing university finances and operations, however. He currently serves on Jacksonville University’s Board of Trustees, where he earned a degree in International Business and Political Science.

Weatherford currently sits on several administrative boards, including the Florida Council of 100, Florida Chamber of Commerce and TECO Energy. He is also the co-chairman of the Super Bowl LV Host Committee. 

Statements congratulating Weatherford on his appointment have poured out over social media from USF BOT members, former and current Florida government officials, as well as Florida Board of Governors member Alan Levine.

Florida’s Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis and current Florida House Speaker Chris Sprowls also made sure to express their approval of Weatherford’s appointment via Twitter, both deeming it a “great pick” by DeSantis. 

USF Trustee Mike Griffin gave a “big Bulls welcome” to Weatherford as well. 

Weatherford’s term will end in 2026, and his duties as a trustee will be announced soon, according to USF’s Board of Trustees website.