USF Research Senior Vice President Paul Sanberg to be second top-level resignation of the semester

Paul Sanberg will resume a faculty position at USF’s Morsani College of Medicine to focus on research in neuroscience and brain repair after 12 years as senior vice president for USF Research and Innovation. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

The second day of the spring semester has brought its second resignation from a major administrative position at the university with Senior Vice President for Research and Innovation Paul Sanberg stepping down from his executive position effective Jan. 18.

USF President Steven Currall announced Tuesday afternoon in a universitywide email that Sanberg would be transitioning from his 12-year tenure as senior vice president at USF Research and Innovation to “focus on his research in the areas of neuroscience and brain repair.”

Once his resignation is official, Sanberg will resume a faculty position as a distinguished university professor in the Department of Neurosurgery and Brain Repair at the USF Morsani College of Medicine. Sanberg will also maintain his leadership roles at the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame, the USF Institute for Advanced Discovery and Innovation and as president of the National Academy of Inventors.

Assistant Vice President for Research and Innovation Keith Anderson will serve as the interim leader of USF Research and Innovation until a permanent successor for Sanberg’s position is found. The search for a new vice president of Research and Innovation will begin in the spring.

“I wish to sincerely thank Dr. Sanberg for his extraordinary dedication to USF research and to cultivating innovation in Florida,” said Currall. “We wish him the best in the next chapter of his intellectual and professional journey.”

Sanberg’s resignation came a day after USF St. Pete Regional Chancellor Martin Tadlock announced his resignation, effective Dec. 31, in a universitywide email. After his term ends, Tadlock will focus on teaching and research as a tenured professor in the College of Education.