Navy game postponed

USF’s scheduled game versus Navy has been postponed. ORACLE PHOTO/BRIAN HATTAB

Navy was scheduled to face off against USF on Saturday at Raymond James Stadium, but the game was postponed Wednesday morning “due to impacts of COVID-19.”

USF Vice President of Athletics Michael Kelly released a statement regarding the situation.

“We are disappointed that we will be unable to play Navy this week,” Kelly said. “Our student-athletes are continuing to work hard with energy and enthusiasm, and look forward to the opportunity to compete and get better each week. However, all our decisions start with the health and safety of our student-athletes as our first priority and we reached a point this week where the decision was clear that it was in their best interest to postpone this week’s game.”

The AAC said it is considering a “number of options with regard to the playing of the contests.”

USF football also said in its announcement that “USF will work with the conference and Navy on a potential date to reschedule the contest.”

The decision comes after USF’s last opponent, Houston, had its game against SMU postponed this week, also due to COVID-19 concerns.

The Navy game is the second USF game scratched this season, following the postponement of the Florida Atlantic game in September.

No replacement dates have been announced for either game.