NOTEBOOK: Bulls fall to UConn

Sydni Harvey’s 16 points were not enough in USF’s loss to UConn on Monday. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/USF ATHLETICS

Despite improved shooting in the second half, USF women’s basketball (18-12, 10-6) fell to No. 5 UConn (16-3, 16-0) on the road 80-39 in the final game of the regular season Monday at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut.

USF couldn’t buy a basket in the opening quarter, going 3-of-15. Meanwhile, UConn went 10-of-19, building a 26-8 lead after 10 minutes. The Huskies went on a 12-0 run from the 5:17 to 2:35 marks.

UConn outdid that with a 19-0 run in the middle of the second quarter. 

By halftime, it was 53-14 Huskies, a stark contrast from USF’s 29-25 lead the last time the teams met two weeks ago at the Yuengling Center.

While USF scored just four baskets in the first half, the Bulls fared much better in the second, shooting 11-of-27 from the field.

Sophomore guard Sydni Harvey led the Bulls with 16 points and was the most efficient shooter for USF, going 5-of-14. She also finished 4-of-4 from the free-throw line.

UConn’s win ensures a perfect 118-0 all-time AAC regular-season record, as it will move to the Big East next season.

AAC women’s basketball tournament seeding confirmed

USF’s loss Monday clinched the No. 4 seed in the upcoming AAC tournament in Uncasville, Connecticut.

The Bulls get a first-round bye before playing the winner of Friday morning’s game between No. 12 Tulsa and No. 5 Temple in the quarterfinals Saturday.

If the Bulls pass that test, they will likely face UConn in the semifinals.

Corrick, Sullivan, Brown earn weekly AAC Honors

After winning weekends for softball, baseball and men’s basketball, three Bulls earned AAC weekly honors.

Softball junior ace Georgina Corrick was awarded AAC Pitcher of the Week for the second time in a row, while baseball senior pitcher Collin Sullivan and men’s basketball junior forward Justin Brown were named to their sport’s respective AAC Honor Roll.

Corrick threw 22 strikeouts across two complete-game shutouts in a 2-0 win over Rutgers on Friday and a 1-0 win against Syracuse on Saturday. 

Sullivan threw a career-high 14 strikeouts in six innings on Friday in a 2-1 win over Northwestern, allowing a season-low four hits.

Brown scored 18 points in a 73-68 overtime home win over East Carolina on Wednesday and 13 points in a 64-58 win at Temple on Sunday. Brown went 6-of-6 from the free-throw line and shot 9-of-23 across both games.