Home campuses of presidential candidates revealed for SG elections

As of Feb. 7, four tickets were received for student body president, three of which were from the Tampa campus and one from the St. Pete campus. ORACLE PHOTO

As predicted, many students waited until the Feb. 7 deadline to submit their position applications for next month’s Student Government elections.

Four tickets applied to run for student body president, three of which were from the Tampa campus and one from the St. Pete campus. In addition, five tickets were submitted for governor and lieutenant governor from all three campuses.

For Senate, 68 applications from Tampa, six from St. Pete and three from Sarasota-Manatee were received.

Regardless of major, students from all three campuses will vote to elect 60 senators this upcoming election.

Six applications were submitted for council representatives from Tampa, one from St. Pete and seven from Sarasota-Manatee. Each campus will have one council with nine active members.

This week, SG will review each candidate’s application to confirm their eligibility to run, including their number of registered courses and GPA. 

SG will also contact the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities to make sure candidates are not on any type of probation. 

Candidates will have to attend at least one informational meeting to be eligible to run.

Once confirmed, candidates will be notified of their eligibility by 5 p.m. on Feb. 16.