Bulls fall in 2OT to SMU in AAC Tourney

USF men’s soccer fell to SMU in double overtime Wednesday. ORACLE PHOTO/BRIAN HATTAB

Despite an eight-save effort by senior goalkeeper Harrison Devenish-Meares, USF men’s soccer fell 2-1 in double overtime to No. 11 SMU in the semifinals of the AAC Tournament on Wednesday night in Orlando.

The loss was not without controversy, as SMU’s game-winner by defender Brandon Terwege in the 106th minute appeared to come off a hand ball. Terwege played the ball in off a corner kick from what video appears to show as his arm, then subsequently kicked the ball into the net.

Despite protests from USF, no review was ever conducted and the game was over.

The Mustangs got on the board early with a goal by midfielder Nicky Hernandez in the 15th minute, but the Bulls held on from there, not allowing SMU anything for more than 90 minutes afterward — including on a penalty kick saved by Devenish-Meares in the 83rd minute.

Just minutes before Devenish-Meares’ penalty save, forward Adrian Billhardt leveled the game on a penalty of his own in the 77th minute. Billhardt left the game and did not return after sustaining an apparent knee injury in the first overtime.

USF’s season isn’t necessarily over with the loss. The Bulls, No. 30 in RPI, remain eligible for an at-large bid to the 48-team NCAA Tournament and find out their fate Monday.