Personal accolades are secondary for USF keeper Devenish-Meares

USF keeper Harrison Devenish-Meares prepares to block a penalty kick from No. 20 Creighton in the Bulls' 2-1 loss Monday. ORACLE PHOTO/SAM NEWLON

USF has only scored one goal in four matches this season.

The team, however, has yet to lose by more than two goals.

Though every match has ended in defeat thus far, one player for the Bulls has especially kept the team competitive in each match, playing every minute this season.

His name is Harrison Devenish-Meares — a Sydney, Australia, native, who, last week, also earned AAC honors as the goalkeeper of the week.

But the junior keeper doesn’t care about personal accolades — he’s just wants his team to earn a victory.

“Personal accolades are great, but I just want to see this team win,” Devenish-Meares said. “I couldn’t care less about a personal accolade right now, I just really want a win because I know this team is good enough to win the conference.”

Devenish-Meares has 17 saves this season, which is right behind Temple’s keeper, Michael Samnik, who leads the AAC with 18 saves.

Though a win has yet to come their way, the Bulls came one step closer by finally converting a chance for their first goal of the season after forward Tomasz Skublak scored against No. 20 Creighton on Monday night.

“Goals are why we play the sport,” Devenish-Meares said. “You could even feel it on the pitch. As soon as that goal went in, I think everyone believed that we’d get a second one. It’s just about that goal coming earlier and keeping other goals out. That’s how we’re going to get wins.”

The veteran keeper also takes on a leadership role for his team. At the end of the Bulls’ 2-1 loss to Creighton, players from both teams were close to a brawl.

Devenish-Meares ran from his spot in goal and tore his teammates one-by-one away from the crowd, which could have prevented a bench-clearing fight.

“It has no place in the game, that sort of violence,” he said. “I think the boys were frustrated and you can see their passion. That’s definitely a good thing, but there’s other ways to go about doing it and when you’ve got players from both sides instigating, it’s bound to happen with young men. It has no place in the game, that’s why I broke it up.”

Coach Bob Butehorn was quick to sing the praises of his keeper, but shared Devenish-Meares’ viewpoint that it is time to win a match.

“Harry (Devenish-Meares) has been phenomenal, he really has,” Butehorn said. “We need to get him some wins.”

Butehorn said that he felt USF’s losses to Michigan State and Virginia Tech should have been wins, but he’s using each match to learn more about his team.

“For me right now, it’s getting these guys to understand that it is a tough road that is worth the fight,” Butehorn said. “Nothing worthwhile in life isn’t hard, so they’ve got to understand to keep going and keep pushing.”

The Bulls travel to play Ohio State on Friday in Columbus, Ohio. Devenish-Meares, Butehorn and the Bulls have their eye on their first win.

“At the end of the day, that’s our main objective — getting the win,” Devenish-Meares said.