Correction: Pi Kappa Phi suspended for violating the Student Code of Conduct

The fraternity Pi Kappa Phi is on “deferred suspension with review” for reckless injurious behavior, misuse of alcohol and violation of system policy, according to Dean of Students Danielle McDonald. SPECIAL THE ORACLE

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that Pi Kappa Phi is on "deferred suspension with review" because of LaGamma's alleged actions. The fraternity is on deferred suspension with review due to Code of Conduct violations.

The fraternity Pi Kappa Phi is not currently allowed to have alcohol on campus while serving a “deferred suspension with review” for reckless injurious behavior, misuse of alcohol and violation of system policy, according to Dean of Students Danielle McDonald.

Dillion LaGamma, a member of the fraternity, was charged with sexual battery of a child over 12 after confessing to “vaginal and oral intercourse” with the 16-year-old girl in October, who was visiting campus at the time, according to police. The assault is said to have occurred at a party hosted by the fraternity at its house, according to police.

While a Title IX investigation found the fraternity not responsible for the incident, it was found to have violated three policies within the Student Code of Conduction.

The first policy, reckless injurious behavior, is described in the Code of Conduct as “conduct that may be unintentional, but is with conscious disregard for its consequences to person(s) or property and results in actual or potential damage, injury or harm to a person(s).”

The fraternity was also cited for misuse of alcohol, which includes providing alcohol to minors and hosting a house party at which minors may possess or consume alcohol.

As a result of the investigation, USF’s Zeta Eta chapter of Pi Kappa Phi is on deferred suspension until May 5.  If the organization violates any aspect of the Student Code of Conduct, it will be immediately suspended from USF.

The fraternity is currently able to meet and function as an organization, meaning that it can participate in USF events and activities.

However, no alcohol is allowed at events or in the fraternity house until after Dec. 16.  The ban is peer-enforced: A student or staff member who witnesses a violation can report the incident to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR), according to USF spokesman Adam Freeman.

If the fraternity meets with the OSRR by March 31 and proves that it has not violated the Student Code of Conduct, has reviewed its risk management and event-hosting procedures, and has since followed USF rules and regulations, the deferred suspension will become conduct probation until spring 2018, according to the sanction letter written to the fraternity on Oct. 28.