Where to watch the CFP National Championship

USF students who want to watch the CFP National Championship with friends at a nearby bar will find various drink and food specials at Miller’s Ale House, Glory Days and Gator’s Dockside, to name a few. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE.

This year, USF students find themselves lucky enough to be in the host city of the College Football Playoff National Championship. While most students probably won’t be able to see the game live at Raymond James Stadium, they can still gather a group of friends and watch it at a nearby bar. 

Places Near USF

Just a few months old, Miller’s Ale House on Fowler Avenue is already a popular venue for taking in sporting events. Students who wish to watch the 8 p.m. game there tonight will probably miss the 7 p.m. happy hour cut off. 

Luckily for them, however, they can still enjoy the game with a few Monday specials, including a bucket of five Miller Lite beers for $9.95 or a bucket of five Corona beers for $17.95. 

Also, customers can get the sandwich of the month, which is blackened chicken for January, for $8.29 and even a 1 ¼ pound full rack of slow-roasted baby back ribs for $11.99.

Glory Days, a sports bar staple in Tampa, has five locations in the bay area, with the two closest to USF being in Carrollwood and New Tampa. 

Students who go to either should take advantage of their “burger Mondays” special. All day, they’ll be offering their classic burger for $5.99 and their specialty burgers for $8.99. There’s even the option of adding bison for $2.99.

Most USF students probably already have Gator’s Dockside on their list of restaurants to watch the game, as students with an ID get 15 percent off (excluding alcohol). They also have an “all you can eat wings” special running from 5 – 11 p.m. on Mondays. Students can ask about their two-for-one alcohol special, as it only encompasses select drafts, house wine and liquor.

Watch Parties

USF students who are vested in one of the teams vying for the championship should be glad to know that both the Tampa Bay Clemson Club and the Tampa Bay Crimson Tide Alumni Association are hosting official watch parties tonight.

Alabama fans can find themselves at Tampa Joe’s tonight if they wish to watch the game with people who share their passion for watching the Crimson Tide win. 

According to Phillip Waite, a manager at the eatery, alumni from the University of Alabama have been holding meetings there for several years, so they already knew where they’d be hosting their party when they realized Alabama would be playing in the championship game in Tampa.

Specials available include 80-cent wings and small pizzas for $5.99. The event is open to the general public and anyone who wants to watch the game at Tampa Joe’s should get there as early as possible. They will not be taking reservations for the event.

Attempts to make contact the Tampa Bay Clemson Club to ask about any specials that people can expect at these other venues were unsuccessful.

Clemson supporters have a few options on where to watch the game, as there will be four official watch parties tonight. Students still in the Clearwater area should head to Quarter Steak and Lube where they can enjoy the game on a 12-foot projector screen or on one of their 40 HDTVs. Those who prefer a view can watch it on the heated outdoor patio instead.

The drink specials that will be available for Clemson fans are four 16 oz. Pabst Blue Ribbon beers for $12, five 12 oz. Coors Light and Miller Light bottles for $15 and Coors Light & Miller Light Lube Tubes of draft beer for $16. Monday night at Quarter Steak and Lube is also family night, which means children 12-years-old and younger get a free meal with the purchase of an adult entree.

Students near South Tampa can go to Beef ‘O’ Brady’s on South Dale Mabry, those closer to the University of Tampa can show up at The Outpost Tap House + Tavern and anyone downtown can visit the Jerk Hut