Women’s basketball starter ruled out

After losing several players to graduation, junior forward Laura Ferreira returns as one of four players to start at least 16 games in 2015.
SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

USF junior forward Laura Ferreira is out for the time being with a plantar fasciitis injury that could potentially force the returning starter to miss the 2016-17 season. 

According to a report by the Tampa Bay Times, the injury could likely force Ferreira to take a medical redshirt this season, but coach Jose Fernandez is waiting to see just how severe the injury is. 

“We continue to monitor her status,” Fernandez Told the Times. “And at the present time, we do not have a definite timeline on her return to practice and if this foot injury is something that she is going to be able to play through.”

After the team lost seniors Courtney Williams, Alisia Jenkins and Shalethia Stringfield, Ferreira was slated to return with the second-most minutes and points on the 2016 roster, trailing Kitija Laksa in both categories. 

USF begins its season Nov. 15 against North Florida in the Sun Dome. 

Volleyball picks up AAC win

In the midst of a five-game homestand, USF volleyball split its two games of the weekend, losing to SMU 3-1 on Friday before coming back with a 3-1 win over Tulsa on Sunday at The Corral. 

SMU, which leads the AAC with a 9-1 record in conference play, took the first two sets against USF despite 12 kills in 17 attempts from junior middle-blocker Joli Holland. 

Sunday, USF responded by downing ninth-place Tulsa in four sets in which the Bulls won three sets by four points or fewer.

Sitting at fifth place in the AAC, USF will host East Carolina at The Corral at 7 p.m. on Thursday. 

Men’s Soccer stays atop AAC with win

With only two games remaining in the regular season before the AAC tournament begins, USF won a crucial 1-0 game Saturday against Memphis to maintain its seat atop the conference. 

A goal from senior forward Nazeem Bartman in the fifth minute was all USF (7-6-2, 4-1) would need as its defense held the Tigers to four shots on goal all match. 

To wrap up the season, USF will play at SMU this Saturday and then host Temple on Nov. 5 for the final game of its regular season.