USF drops three in weekend tournament

Junior middle blocker Joli Holland was named to the all-tournament team for the DePaul Invitational following her 15-kill performance in the final match of the weekend. ORACLE FILE PHOTO 

Despite rattling off six wins in a row to begin the season — the Bulls’ best start since 2000 — USF volleyball dropped all three of its matches this weekend in the DePaul Invitational in Chicago. 

After taking the opening set against DePaul University (5-4) in the first match of the tournament, USF (6-3) would eventually fall 9-15 in the fifth and final set. 

In USF’s second match of the tournament, the Bulls lost the first two sets of the best-of-five match to the University of Illinois at Chicago (9-0) before storming back to win the next two sets 25-23, 25-17.

However, the comeback effort wasn’t enough for USF, as it fell in the final set, 10-15.

The Bulls dropped their final match of the weekend against Albany (3-6) in four sets Saturday. 

USF will return home when it hosts the USF Classic this weekend, which will feature Stetson, Wright State and LIU-Brooklyn. 

No. 14 Women’s Soccer keeps streak alive

The USF women’s soccer team shut out its opponent for the fourth-straight match Sunday when the Bulls defeated Georgia Southern 2-0 in Statesboro, Georgia. 

Junior goalkeeper Kat Elliott recorded her second shutout of the weekend with four saves in the match. 

No. 14 USF scored all it would need in the first half, with goals from freshmen Gudrun Sigurdardottir and Evelyne Viens in the 24th minute and 27th minute, respectively. 

USF (7-0) will be off for two weeks before resuming play on the road at Old Dominion on Sept. 25. 

Men’s Soccer wins first game

After not winning through the team’s first five games, the USF men’s soccer team defeated the University of San Francisco 2-0 at Corbett Stadium on Saturday. 

The Bulls took a 2-0 first-half advantage thanks to goals from senior forward Nazeem Bartman and freshman midefielder Stephen Rudderham.

USF locked down on defense, holding San Francisco to just three shots in the first 45 minutes and only three shots on goal the entire match. 

Goalkeeper Spasoje Stefanovic made three saves in his 90 minutes, including a save on a penalty shot in the 40th minute. 

USF (1-3-2) will host North Florida on Wednesday as it tries to notch consecutive victories for the first time in 2016. 

“One of my favorite things about coaching is seeing how we deal with adversity,” coach George Kiefer said in a release. “How do you bounce back and not let it cripple you? In athletics you get to keep trying, but in life, sometimes it cripples you to your knees. Our guys are still figuring out a few things, but I’m very confident we’re moving in the right direction.”