Miscues doom USF men’s soccer in 2-0 defeat

A defensive miscue by senior goalie Spasoje Stefanovic allowed Jacksonville to go up 2-0 in the second half. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

The USF men’s soccer team is still searching for its first win of the season after failing to capitalize on opportunities and making some uncharacteristic mistakes in a 2-0 loss to Jacksonville University at Corbett Stadium on Thursday.  

A scoreless first half was controlled by the Bulls, who kept much of the possession in Jacksonville’s defensive half.

Coming out of the locker room at halftime the Bulls really began to get quality chances at goal and seemed poised to break the scoreless tie at any moment. 

“I thought a lot of balls were whipped across the box,” coach George Kiefer said. “If you finish on one or two of those you really take the pressure off.”

While the Bulls failed to score on any of their 12 shots, Jacksonville was able to cause fatal damage on five shots. 

The Dolphins broke through on a precicely placed free kick by Junior Midfielder Mitchell Hopkins to sophomore midfielder Sam Gardener. Gardener was able to push the ball past USF goalie Spasoje Stefanovic to take the 1-0 lead in the 69th minute.

Just two minutes later, Jacksonville was able to strike again when Stefanovic went far out of his box to send a ball to the offensive half. The goalie was unable to kick the ball as he wanted, causing the ball to travel only a few feet to Jacksonville forward Kai Bennett.

Once the Bennett controlled the ball, with the net exposed, all he had to do was push the ball into the empty net sending the Dolphins home with the victory.

“The second one was just a bit of misfortune,” Kiefer said. “You see guys who make millions make the same type of mistakes. Just an in-game error.”

The Bulls look for their first victory at 1 p.m. Saturday against San Francisco.