USF loses power as storm approaches

In light of the approaching storm, Gov. Rick Scott has issued a state of emergency and Hillsborough County Public Schools have canceled classes. As of 1 p.m., USF had no plans to close Thursday. PHOTO/KLYSTRON9

Approximately 25 buildings were affected by a campus power outage today, according to an announcement made by USF.

Cherie Jacobs, spokesperson for Tampa Electric (TECO), said in an email that the outage was on the university side and did not involve any TECO equipment.

The university said in its announcement that USF is working with TECO to restore power to campus.  University spokeswoman Lara Wade estimated that power would be restored to campus by approximately 2:45 p.m.

Buildings such as the Marshall Student Center, some offices located in SVC and the Collins parking garage lost power. A combination of cloudy skies as Tropical Depression 9 approaches Florida and the lack of power made the lowest floor of the Collins garage so dark that in some places a car driving without its headlights on was barely visible.

In light of the approaching storm, Gov. Rick Scott has issued a state of emergency and Hillsborough County Public Schools have canceled classes. As of 1 p.m., USF had no plans to close Thursday.

Wade said that USF will continue to monitor the storm and will let students know of any schedule changes or cancellations as soon as a decision is made.