Notebook: Cid wraps up historic USF career in Tulsa

USF senior Roberto Cid ended his collegiate career as the most decorated men’s tennis player in school history. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

The most successful college tennis career in USF history ended Saturday in Tulsa, Oklahoma when USF senior Roberto Cid fell in straight sets in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Singles Championships to UCLA’s Mackenzie McDonald, the eventual national champion.

Despite going up 2-0 in the opening set against McDonald, Cid would eventually fall 6-3 and then 6-2 in the final set of the match.

Cid, the No. 2 seed heading into the tournament, had his most impressive season in 2016, finishing the season with a 25-3 record including three victories against opponents ranked in the top-five in the nation. 

Senior Dominic Cotrone, who was eliminated in the round of 16 in three sets (6-4, 2-6, 6-2) by fifth-seeded Cameron Norrie of TCU, became the second All-American in school history this season.

USF baseball falls in AAC Tournament 

Following a season marred by injuries to key players and a roster comprised of over 20 newcomers, USF baseball overcame the odds in its win against second-seeded ECU before eventually falling in the AAC tournament this weekend. 

Tied at two entering the ninth, the Bulls (24-33) rallied for two runs with the help of five walks to overtake the Pirates on Wednesday and begin the conference tournament in the winner’s bracket. 

Despite the conference-opening upset, USF pitching had difficulty limiting the opposition over the remainder of the tournament as the Bulls fell to third-seeded UConn 9-1 on Thursday and sixth-seeded Memphis 7-5 on Friday.

Aside from players who could be selected in the upcoming MLB draft, USF is set to lose only three players from this year’s roster.

USF football receives national recognition 

Coming off its best and only winning season under coach Willie Taggart, the Bulls are gaining steam nationally as a contender for this season’s AAC championship.

Both Athlon Sports and Lindy’s Sports, two of the most popular magazine prognosticators in the nation, picked USF to win the AAC East division this season.

USF, which won seven of its final nine games to advance to the Miami Beach Bowl, has never previously been picked to win the division under Taggart.