Olsen takes individual title in Los Cabos

Senior Aksel Olsen beat out teammate Chase Koepka by two strokes at the Querencia Cabo Collegiate in Los Cabos, Mexico on Sunday for the individual win. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE PHOTO

USF men’s golf senior Aksel Olsen was named AAC Player of the Week following a first-place finish at the Querencia Cabo Collegiate in Los Cabos, Mexico on Sunday.

USF finished second in the team standings at 8-under, 10 strokes behind tournament winner Georgia at the par-71 Querencia Golf Club.

This was Olsen’s first division-I win of his career and second top-10 finish of the spring season — he finished tied for eighth at the Gator Invitational on Feb. 21.  

“To win in that field with that many good individual players was pretty impressive,” coach Steve Bradley said.

Olsen was able to birdie the par-4 17th hole to get a one-shot lead heading into the final hole where he would make par for the win.

The Norwegian native shot a tournament-best 9-under on par 4 holes.

“Where he’s grown probably the most is his course management,” Bradley said. “He’s typically been the kind of kid that likes to hit a driver regardless if it’s the correct play or not. At this course in particular, it kind of takes that out of play. 

“Between his course management and his putting, that’s a large reason why he his golf game has improved so much.”

With the win in Mexico, USF moved to No. 18 in the Golfstat.com rankings. 

Olsen had to stave off teammate Chase Koepka, who, with a birdie on the 16th hole, tied Olsen with two holes remaining. A bogey for senior Koepka and a birdie for Olsen gave Olsen the win.

The Bulls play their next tournament at Mission Inn Golf Course in Howey-in-the-Hills, Fl. On Mar. 12.