SG executive branch hopefuls to debate

The Student Government presidential election season hits campus full force this week with four tickets in the running for student body president and vice president.

SG will host a debate for the presidential hopefuls Wednesday in the Marshall Student Center (MSC) Ballroom at 7 p.m. and a debate for the vice presidential hopefuls Tuesday in the MSC Beef ‘O’ Brady’s at 7 p.m.

College of Arts and Sciences Sen. Chris Griffin is running with former Senior Justice Alec Waid of the SG Supreme Court. Current Vice President Michael Malanga is also running for president with current Chief of Staff Taylor Sanchez.

The third ticket for president, which doesn’t include current SG members, is Nicole Hudson, a physics and math major, who is running with Amanda-Lynn Hill, a political science major. The fourth consists of Senate President Kristen Truong and Mary Lumapas, the presidential and vice presidential candidates, respectively.

Proposals for Griffin and Waid’s campaign include parking-spot trackers, free green and blue books, a system to allow students to donate their leftover dining hall meals in an effort to fight local hunger and expanding the USF spirit team.

Some of Malanga and Sanchez’s objectives include implementing a diversity council to advise the student body president and vice president, publishing a student Bill of Rights, expanding SAFE Team hours and the Share-A-Bull program.

Hudson and Hill’s campaign focuses on transparency for SG, with objectives such as fighting corruption, increasing accountability, addressing parking issues on campus and increasing campus prestige.

In an email to the Oracle, Truong said she and Lumapas have not been authorized to campaign yet.

Students can submit questions for either debate on OrgSync.com.

Polls open Monday, with two polling locations on campus — one in the MSC, and another that will move across campus. There will also be open polling online at sg.usf.edu/vote throughout the four days of voting, with polls closing March 3.