Movies to get the Christmas spirit flowing

Christmas is the most tradition-filled holiday of the year. While some folks argue over real versus fake trees or the proper way to wrap gifts, one thing is agreed on across the board: Christmas movies are essential to a fulfilling holiday experience. Unfortunately, the amount of films set in December can be rather overwhelming, but four movies rise above the countless mediocre stories that filter across our screens.  

It’s A Wonderful Life

Nothing seems to be going right for George Bailey, and in a moment of despair he wishes he had never existed. With the help of his guardian angel, Clarence, Bailey begins a journey showcasing what life would be like without him. Luckily, this classic film is hitting the big screen several times this holiday season at the Tampa Theatre, so grab your loved ones and head downtown for an experience you won’t soon forget. 

Elf

Will Ferrell stars as Buddy, an elf at the North Pole who learns of his identity as a human and travels to New York City in search of his biological father. “Elf” is one of the few modern films that immediately earned its place on our yearly Christmas movie marathon list with its light humor and holiday cheer. Nothing makes you feel quite as ecstatic as finding the Christmas spirit and being true to yourself like Buddy the Elf. 

Home Alone

Nearly every person in America has plotted along with Kevin McCallister as he outwits burglars and learns that being apart from your family may not be the heavenly experience he assumed. The emotions are high and the laughs are loud as you’re sucked into the chaotic world of a stranded but cunning eight year old. You’ll be reaching for the phone to call your loved ones as soon as the credits roll. Like “It’s A Wonderful Life,” “Home Alone” will also be showcased at the Tampa Theatre. 

A Christmas Story

Ralphie Parker can’t catch a break as he accidently curses in front of his parents for the first time, falls prey to an intricate conspiracy involving his mother, teacher, and Santa and is forced to bear the embarrassment of well meaning, but delusional aunts. Be warned, it will become impossible to open a package labeled ‘fragile’ without imitating the father’s terrible Italian accent. This movie unites viewers of all ages and is a perfect solution to easing tension at family events. 

Regardless of how you choose to celebrate the holidays, these films will make your day that much brighter. Christmas is the happiest time of the year and having the right movies to give you a boost of holiday spirit is an essential part of pulling off a successful celebration.