USF returns nearly 9K tickets for Florida State game

The visitor’s section could look much like this on Saturday at Doak Campbell Stadium after USF returned 8,595 of its 10,500 ticket allotment for the game. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

The glimmer of green and gold won’t be very prominent inside Doak Campbell Stadium on Saturday during USF’s matchup with No. 11 Florida State.

According to a report Tuesday by the Tallahassee Democrat, USF returned 8,595 tickets of its 10,500 allotment, forcing FSU officials to scramble to distribute them. 

The school plans to offer them at a reduced rate as part of a special Youth Day promotion.

“We will move a good number of those tickets, but I don’t know that we will move all 9,000 of those tickets,” Karl Hicks, FSU’s Deputy Director of Athletics for External Operations, told the paper.

According to the Democrat, FSU was informed by USF in early August that it would not need 4,500 of the tickets for the game, which kicks off at 11:30 a.m. Then, the program returned 3,000 tickets two weeks ago, an additional 900 on Aug. 28 and 195 more last week.

By comparison, USF sold more than 13,000 tickets for its only other meeting with the ‘Noles in Tallahassee – a noon start – in 2009. The Bulls upset FSU 17-7.

“Moving all those tickets in a short period of time as we have probably will be a challenge,” Hicks said. “Can we move three to four (thousand)? I think so. We probably can do that.”