Woulard announces transfer to USF

Former UCLA quarterback Asiantii Woulard announced his decision to transfer to USF on Monday after meeting with coach Willie Taggart last week. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Coach Willie Taggart’s latest project at the quarterback position – former UCLA quarterback Asiantii Woulard – is set to arrive on campus some time this month after announcing Monday on Twitter he will transfer to USF.

Woulard was a four-star recruit in the 2013 class out of Winter Park and ranked as the best dual-threat quarterback in the nation. 

He committed twice to the Bulls before ultimately de-committing when former coach Skip Holtz was relieved of his position. 

In the time since, the highly recruited Woulard sat on the sidelines at UCLA for two years without playing a down. 

After failing to become the backup quarterback last season, Woulard announced his decision to transfer in early June after the Bruins added freshman Josh Rosen, the top quarterback recruit in the class of 2015.

“I am very familiar with the team already, it’s close to home and it’s a great situation to come in and compete,” Woulard said in an interview with ESPN. “USF is a program that has been waiting for something special and I want to help build that.”

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound quarterback will likely have to sit out the 2015-16 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

In the meantime, Taggart will turn the Bulls’ offense over to either sophomore Quinton Flowers or senior Steven Bench. 

Report: Special teams coach leaves 

With a little more than a month remaining before training camp opens Aug. 6, Sports Illustrated reported Tuesday that special teams and tight ends coach Stu Holt is leaving USF for a position with Appalachian State.

Holt oversaw arguably USF’s best unit over the past two seasons. The Bulls’ special teams unit helped make up for other units’ lackluster production, with former kicker Marvin Kloss named a finalist for the 2013 Lou Groza award and punter Mattias Ciabatti named as a First-Team All-Conference player last season.

Appalachian State has an opening for a running backs coach after former coach Chris Foster resigned in early June. 

USF finds new radio partner

There will be a new radio home for USF’s athletics this year, as WWBA 820 AM reached a multi-year agreement with the school Wednesday.

The News Talk Florida station will broadcast all of USF’s football and men’s basketball games and most women’s basketball games. 

USF was in need of a new radio partner after 98.7 The Fan changed its format due to new ownership in early December. 

The school will bring back the same team of broadcasters and analysts as it used last season, led by “Voice of the Bulls” Jim Louk.