USF hires running backs coach

Donte Pimpleton became the third running backs coach since USF’s offseason began when his hiring was announced Saturday. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

After losing two former running backs coaches to Oregon State and Notre Dame, USF announced Saturday the hiring of Donte Pimpleton to fill the vacant position.

Pimpleton is a former teammate of coach Willie Taggart and served as an offensive coach for three years during Taggart’s time as a coach at Western Kentucky. He had been named the running backs and tight ends coach at Delaware State in February.

“I have had a great relationship with Donte since we were teammates at Western Kentucky,” Taggart said in a press release. “He is a competitive and hardworking individual and we have had a lot of success together. He will be terrific relating to our players on and off the field and we welcome him to the Bulls and the Bay.”

Prior to coaching at Delaware State, Pimpleton worked as the wide receivers coach at Kentucky Wesleyan College in 2013, before his promotion to offensive coordinator in 2014. 

After winning only three games over the three seasons before Pimpleton was named offensive coordinator, including a winless 2013 campaign, Kentucky Wesleyan went 7-4 in 2014 and averaged 36.3 points per game. 

The Panthers averaged only 16 points per game in 2013. 

White picks Western Kentucky 

Following in the footsteps of coach Willie Taggart, former USF quarterback Mike White announced Saturday evening he will transfer to Western Kentucky.

White was granted his release from the school March 31, only three days after the spring game. 

The rising junior threw for 1,639 yards with eight touchdowns and seven interceptions last season as the Bulls’ starter in 11 games. 

He will be the fifth quarterback of the Hilltoppers, who are led by sixth-year quarterback Brandon Doughty. The graduate student threw for 4,830 yards and 49 touchdowns with only 10 interceptions last season. 

Bulls win Irish Creek Championship

The USF men’s golf team ended its regular season on a strong note as it won its third championship of the season in the 15-team Irish Creek Championship in Kannapolis, North Carolina. 

The Bulls inched out North Florida by a single stroke at the par-71 Irish Creek Golf Club after shooting eight strokes better than the Ospreys in the final round of play Sunday. 

USF sophomore Rigel Fernandes tied for first place after shooting 5-under for the tournament. 

Golfers Claudio Correa and Chase Koepka also finished in the top 10 and tied for ninth at even par. 

USF will move on to postseason play as it readies for the AAC Championship, which begins April 26 in Lecanto, Florida.