Fernandez’s contract extended following historic run

Jose Fernandez coached the Bulls to a program record-tying 27 wins. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Coach Jose Fernandez was rewarded for the USF women’s basketball team’s historic season Monday when he agreed to a contract extension to stay with the program through 2021. 

Fernandez recently completed his 15th season with USF, which was one of the best in Bulls’ history. USF earned its first-ever national ranking and played its way to the second round of the NCAA Tournament under Fernandez this season. 

“I’ve taken a lot of pride in building this program and there’s so much more to do,” Fernandez said in a press release. “I think this will allow us to continue along the path we’re on.”

The contract adds three years to his already-existing three-year deal. 

USF Baseball to battle Panthers

The Bulls’ starters struggled in their last series against UConn, surrendering 16 runs over three games in Storrs, Connecticut. 

Even with less than ideal starts from USF pitchers, the team was able to win two of three against the Huskies due to a barrage of runs over Games 1 and 3 of the series.

The Bulls will now take a one-game break from conference play as they make a trip down to Miami to play FIU.

The Panthers (14-18) have five hitters batting over .280, but the lineup has yet to hit with much pop this season. Despite a team batting average of .269, the Panthers have only one hitter with more than two home runs. 

Edwin Rios has been one of the sole providers of the Panthers’ power hitting this season, as the junior leads the team in home runs (9), RBIs (26) and total bases (64). 

Another strength for the Panthers has been the back end of the bullpen. Relievers Danny Dopico and Williams Durruthy have combined to save seven games and have allowed only 11 earned runs in 46 combined innings. 

USF (22-10-1) defeated FIU 4-3 in the teams’ first and only meeting of the season thus far. Tonight, they will play their final matchup of the season at 6 at the FIU Baseball Stadium.

Former Bulls invited to Bucs workout 

At least four USF alumni will be at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ pre-draft workout Friday, according to a Tampa Bay Times report.

Andre Davis, Reshard Cliett, Austin Reiter and Darrell Williams were all invited to the workout, where they will try to impress evaluators enough to draft them in the upcoming NFL Draft on April 30.