Grant funds science teachers of the future

With the demand for science teachers rising in Florida, USF is getting ahead of the game with a scholarship for those interested in pursuing a career in education.

A grant from the National Science Foundation will provide $10,000 scholarships each year for two years for USF undergraduate science majors who plan to pursue a career as middle and high school science teachers in Florida. 

The scholarship, called the Robert Noyce USF Teacher Scholarship Program for Science Majors, is aimed at science majors who, if chosen, must complete a science degree and a Master of Arts in Teaching with certification within five years before working in a Tampa Bay area school district for two years. 

The first recipients of the scholarship, known as Noyce fellows, will serve as the inaugural members of the Science Teacher Accelerated Master’s Program (STAMP) at USF.

STAMP will consist of 36 Noyce fellows whose commitment to teaching in Florida schools will provide much needed support to the science curricula of secondary schools in communities of low socioeconomic standings.

In addition to the Noyce fellows, the STAMP program will assist five USF undergraduates every year as research interns in science education. These students will work with faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Education.