Hole-in-one seals win for Correa

Claudio Correa captured the SunTrust Invitational title Sunday after hitting a hole-in-one. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

On the par-three 15th hole, in the first round of play at the SunTrust Gator Invitational, USF freshman Claudio Correa hit a hole-in-one on his way to his first individual title as a Bull and No. 23 USF’s first win of the spring season.

“He’s played tremendously since he’s been here, and won a tournament in December in his home country,” coach Steven Bradley said in a press release. “He clearly has a lot of talent and a lot of game. He’s learning a lot and the future is really bright for him.”

Senior Trey Valentine made up ground on Sunday, the final day of the tournament, tying his career best with a 5-under 65, putting him in a tie for 11th place.

Sophomore Rigel Fernandes finished 19th and junior Chase Koepka finished tied for fourth at 2-under.

“It was really a collection of individual efforts to make it a team win,” Bradley said. “They all did their part and they all stayed in the present and played one shot at a time. We beat a lot of really good teams and we’re happy to get the ‘W’ for sure.”

USF will return to action March 1 in the Querencia Cabo Collegiate in Los Cabos, Mexico.