Honors piling up for Williams

USF Guard Courtney Williams racked up her 11th weekly award Monday. The junior is averaging 20 points per game this season — first in the conference. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Just 32 hours before tonight’s edition of the war on I-4 with UCF, USF guard Courtney Williams was selected to the AAC Honor Roll, giving her 11 weekly honors this season.

Only 21 games into her junior season, Williams has scored 20 or more points in six consecutive games, falling just short of a double-double in the team’s 57-53 win over Memphis on Saturday. Williams scored 20 points with nine rebounds and a game-high five steals.

Williams is on a tear this season, leading the conference in scoring, with 20 points per game, but she’s been more than just a scorer. The 5-foot-8 guard is sixth in the conference in rebounds per game (8.5) and seventh in
assists (3.3).

Coming into tonight’s game, Williams and company are riding a three-game winning streak, having beaten 11 of their last 12 opponents.

This AAC matchup will showcase the top two offensive weapons in the conference: Williams and UCF guard Zykira Lewis, who both sit atop the conference scoring list.

On the glass, however, USF junior forward Alisia Jenkins will have her hands full with UCF’s 6-foot-3 forward Brittni Montgomery, who ranks 11th in the conference, with seven rebounds per game. 

UCF started the season 4-2, but has gone 3-12 since, losing seven of its last eight.

In their last game, the Knights took advantage of Tulsa’s slow start, jumping out to a 10-1 lead in the first six minutes, but the game was knotted at 29 at the half.

The Knights would go on to lose 70-61 after an uncharacteristic seven-point performance by Lewis. 

Despite ranking seventh in scoring offense (63.6), UCF sits at rock bottom in the conference in scoring defense (68.8). 

Tip-off is at 7 p.m. in the Sun Dome and will be broadcast on the American Digital Network.