Balanced Bulls rout UNC-Asheville

ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

The Bulls (3-1) were looking to bounce back at their season opener Saturday after a blowout loss to No.8 Maryland. The women’s basketball team beat UNC-Asheville (0-3) 97-53. 

The team outrebounded the Bulldogs 44 to 38, controlling the post with a commanding presence thanks in part to strong physical play down low by junior forward Alisia Jenkins. 

“With Kate (Weber) being out, I had to work on my post moves,” Jenkins said. 

Switching from forward to center didn’t seem to be any trouble for Jenkins, who earned a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds, along with four blocks and two steals. 

The Bulls forced 21 turnovers and held every Bulldog player under 10 points with a full court press, which they recently adopted.

“We had to make sure our freshmen had (the full court press) down before the game and I feel we executed it very well,” Jenkins said.

The Bulls had a total of 20 assists on the night, forcing UNC-Asheville to constantly defend all five players on the court. This ball-sharing and good shot selection stood out to junior guard Courtney Williams who had 18 points, six rebounds, and four of the team’s assists.

USF’s bench accounted for 39 points on the day and kept UNC-Asheville out of striking distance from start to finish.

The Bulls now head to the U.S. Virgin Islands on Thursday to play in the Paradise Jam, where they’ll face Oklahoma, Illinois and Kentucky.  USF’s next home game is Wednesday Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. against Stetson.