Bulls win two close games to start season

ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

The women’s basketball team was able to edge its way to victory this weekend in dual wins over Villanova on Saturday and Chattanooga on Sunday at the Chattanooga Invitational. 

Junior guard Courtney Williams and junior forward Alisia Jenkins dominated against Villanova. Williams scored 21 points and 10 rebounds and Jenkins chipped in with 11 points and 13 rebounds. 

Williams made a clutch shot to take the lead with 1:20 left in the game. 

The Bulls’ defense then clamped down and held Villanova scoreless for the remainder of the game. It was a tight battle with 12 lead changes in the second half, but the Bulls were able to come out on top and hold the Villanova offense in check. 

USF (2-0) lost sophomore guard Laura Marcos Canedo to a finger injury after only 11 minutes of play. Center Katelyn Weber also did not make it on to the court due to injury. 

The Bulls ended Chattanooga’s longest home court winning streak, which had been the longest in the nation, in the 59-57 win. The Mocs held a winning streak of 40 games at home and that came to an end with help from the Bulls on Sunday. 

The Bulls’ defense kept them in the game as they held the Mocs’ shooting to less than 31 percent from the field and held them scoreless after regaining the lead.

Jenkins was a big contributor once again as she recorded another double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds. 

The Bulls offense was in sync Sunday as they shot 47 percent from the field and 55 percent from the three-point line.

USF controlled the boards as they out-rebounded Chattanooga 39 to 24. 

Williams led the team in scoring with 15 points and 8 rebounds.

The Bulls will continue on their road trip to College Park, Maryland for their next away game against Maryland on Wednesday at 7 p.m.