Two players complete Antigua’s 2014 class

When former coach Stan Heath left USF, the men’s basketball team faced the departure of two seniors and six transfers.

Now after this week’s addition of Jaleel Cousins and Roddy Peters, the roster is filled with 14 players, 13 of who are on scholarship for the upcoming season. With no more incoming players, coach Orlando Antigua can shift his focus from recruitment to developing the team.

Only the signing of Cousins was confirmed by the time of print.

The 6-foot-10 Cousins is transferring from Navarro College in Texas. He will be allowed to play this upcoming season, adding depth to a depleted frontcourt that lost center John Egbunu and forward Zach LeDay to transfers. Cousins, the brother of NBA player DeMarcus Cousins, averaged 7.1 points and 4.8 rebounds per game last season.

“Jaleel (Cousins) is a big, physical, long kid whose best basketball is still ahead of him,” Antigua said in a press release. “He has a huge upside which makes me excited to get a chance to work with him.”

While Cousins is eligible to play this upcoming season, Peters is not. The 6-foot-3 point guard is transferring to USF from Maryland where he averaged 4.1 points per game in 15.1 minutes per game. The former Terrapin was rated by Rivals.com as a 4-star prospect coming out of high school and was offered scholarships by Kansas, Georgetown, Xavier, Rutgers and UCLA coming into last season.

Peters will be the second player this season to transfer to the Bulls after playing for another Division I school, joining fellow point guard Kareem Canty.

— Staff Report