Freshman center under NCAA review

The USF men’s basketball team is under review by the NCAA concerning freshman center John Egbunu and his allegedly falsified age documents and school  transcripts, according to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman and Brett McMurphy.

USF did not confirm whether an investigation was taking place, but USF Associate Athletics Director for Communications Brian Siegrest released a statement acknowledging the situation. 

“We aware of potential concerns involving one of our student-athletes,” he said. “We have initiated a review of the matter and have asked the NCAA to assist us.  The student-athlete was completely certified and cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to enrolling.”

The review reportedly started with complaints from AAU coach Linzy Davis, who coached Egbunu as well as his son, and former USF signee, Drew Davis.

Egbunu has started 16 of 17 games for the Bulls this season, averaging eight points and 6.9 rebounds per game. 

Linzy Davis told ESPN Egbunu lived with him in his junior year of high school, but hasn’t spoken to him in more than a year. Linzy Davis told ESPN Heath didn’t honor his son Drew’s commitment and Drew went to prep school, while Heath told ESPN that Drew was a non-qualifier and was not admitted to USF.

– Staff report