USF Foundation raises Unstoppable goal to $1B

The USF Foundation has raised its Unstoppable campaign fundraising goal to $1 billion after surpassing its $600 million goal this year, according to a Tampa Bay Times article.

The Times article reported that university leaders announced they were raising their goal Friday night at a gala as they launched the second phase of the Unstoppable campaign, which began in 2005, but was publicly unveiled in 2009.

The campaign has raised more than $633 million to date from more than 140 donors, about half of it before the economic recession hit. Though donations hit a lull for a little bit, they picked up again and in 2011 the campaign drew $111 million alone.

More than $170 million has gone toward USF Health, with total gifts as large as $40 million from donors such as Frank and Carol Morsani, $40 million has gone toward USF Athletics, with gifts for new facillities from Pam and Les Mumas, Richard Gonzmart, Richard Corbett and the most recent donation from Thomas James for a new tennis center.

About $140 million has been raised for facilities such as the Patel Center for Global Solutions and Sembler Fountain and Plaza in St. Pete, and $75 million has funded student scholarships.

While most donations has come as usable cash, some have come in the form of planned gifts left in wills, property or stocks that can be liquidated, and endowments.

— Staff report