No. 22 UConn comes to Corbett Stadium

USF men’s soccer will take on a familiar foe this weekend from the now-defunct Big East Conference, as both schools transition into the first year of the American Athletic Conference .

The No. 22 Connecticut Huskies (3-2-1) come to Corbett Soccer Stadium for the Bulls’ (2-1-3) AAC home opener.

The Bulls are winless in eight matches against the Huskies with a 0-8-0 record, but the relationship with Connecticut runs deeper.

USF head coach George Kiefer was an assistant from 1997-2001 at Connecticut, where he won a national championship in 2000 with USF’s current assistant coach Bryheem Hancock, then the Husky goalkeeper.

Connecticut is USF’s first ranked opponent of the year and was picked to win the AAC in the preseason coaches poll. USF was projected for third place.

The Bulls have gotten high recongnition in the ACC behind the net however.

After starting the season with junior Dallas Jaye in goal, senior Brentton Muhammad has taken over in goal, starting five consecutive games.

Muhammad was named to the AAC weekly honor roll along with junior forward Kennedy Selorm Adablah and senior defender Ricardo Webb after a tie at South Carolina and a win over Kentucky.

Adablah leads the Bulls with two goals on 10 shots. Though Connecticut has one more win than USF, Connecticut has scored four goals in six games while USF has scored seven goals in six games.

USF will have to continue that offense to win Friday at 7:30 p.m.