LETTER: Why Greek life is the best decision I’ve ever made

I can say with unwavering confidence that going Greek is the best decision I have ever made and I can guarantee that I am not alone.

Since their conception, Greek organizations have strived to create better men and women of tomorrow. From various backgrounds and times in our lives, members are given the opportunity to come together with others of a similar mindset and strengthen not only ourselves, but the communities around us.

Speaking personally as a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, there is no right or wrong time to get involved; it is simply when you decide to make a positive change in your life alongside countless women throughout
time.

There are other wonderful ways to get involved, like Student Government or athletics, and yes, there is no denying the many stigmas and rumors that are tossed around about Greek Life.

Unfortunately, sometimes they are true, but it is how we grow and move forward from each of our mistakes that strengthen this Greek community and give future students here at the University of South Florida a better experience than we had.

Each and every day we are striving to let the ideals of our founders shine through every action to inspire generations to come.

The benefits of Greek Life are far greater than I could ever say or write to you on a piece of paper or in a
facebook rebuttal to an ignorant comment or, my favorite, to a potential new member asking me why I went Greek.

More important than why I joined, is why I stay.

I stay because as a freshman, I was given a purpose and a home in a school of 40,000.

I was given the opportunity to take my strengths and intensify them through “close contact and deep friendship of individual fraternity and Panhellenic life,” the Panhellenic Creed.

I am able to call the University of South Florida my home and the women of Zeta Tau Alpha my sisters.

I stay because I know now that I am not alone and I am accepted for who I am and what I have to offer, which for me and many other students, is sometimes the hardest thing to believe.

It may be expensive, challenging, and at times controversial, but I urge my fellow Bulls to at least become familiar with the Greek system.

Get informed, and I believe that each and every person will at least find some aspect that they can connect to and more often than not, will find that it is something they are interested in becoming a part of.

“Fraternities and sororities symbolize all that we wish to accomplish in our lives. They represent the struggles we all face as we grow. Why we cling to them is hard to explain, but in the end, we are all stronger for it.”

Emily Seitz is a sophomore
majoring in advertising.