Genshaft announces interim leaders for USF Health

Dr. Harry van Loveren, chairman of the Morsani College of Medicine’s neurosurgery department, and Dr. Donna Petersen, dean of the College of Public Health, were announced as interim leaders of USF Health, USF President Judy Genshaft announced.

The two will lead USF Health starting Aug. 12, and the search for a permanent CEO of USF Health is underway, the email stated.

Current College of Medicine Dean and USF Health CEO Stephen Klasko, who has been with USF since 2004, will leave in September to serve as president of Thomas Jefferson University and CEO of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital System.

The search committee will be led by Karen Holbrook, senior adviser to the President, and Dr. John Sinnott, chairman of the internal medicine department in the College of Medicine. According to a USF Health press release, other members of the committee include: Jim Burkhart, CEO of Tampa General Hospital; Dr. Javier Cuevas, USF Health’s Neurocardiology Research Lab director; Dr. Jeffrey Krischer, USF Diabetes Center and Pediatric Epidemiology Center director; Steve Mitchell, USF Board of Trustees member; Dr. Alicia Monroe, vice dean for educational affairs in the College of Medicine; Dr. Dianne Morrison-Beedy, dean of College of Nursing; Dr. Elliot Sussman, chairman of The Villages Health; Dr. Thomas Whalen, chief medical officer for LeHigh Valley Health Network; Dr. Sarah Yuan, chairwoman of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology department Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology; and Trevor Lewis, co-president of the College of Medicine Student Council.

— Staff report