USF gets spotlight with NFL Draft, two Big East Championship titles

Some students went home to see family, and others capped off their academic careers at USF by walking across the Sun Dome stage. But during the two weeks off from classes, USF sports teams flourished.

It started with what is probably one of the biggest annual events in football — the NFL Draft.

The second day of the draft is when the Bulls peaked when the 90th overall pick in the third round of the draft USF defensive back, Kayvon Webster, was selected to the Denver Broncos.

Once Webster’s name was called, he joined a long list of other USF defensive backs to be taken in the draft including the Vikings’ Mistral Raymond; the Eagles’ Nate Allen, Trae Williams and J.R. Reed; the Rams’ Jerome Murphy; the Cowboys’ Mike Jenkins and the Browns’ Anthony Henry.

The next day, the last day of the draft, USF linebacker Sam Barrington had his name called and was drafted to the Green Bay Packers with the 232nd pick in the seventh roundJust five picks later at 237, perhaps the most surprising pick was made. As the first USF quarterback to ever be drafted in the NFL, B.J. Daniels made school history by being chosen by the SanFrancisco 49ers.

Along with the USF draftees, several other Bulls were given the opportunity with an NFL team by signing as free agents.

Defensive back George Baker and kicker Maikon Bonani went off to the Tennessee Titans, offensive lineman Danous Estenor signed as an Indianapolis Colt, defensive tackle Cory Grissom went to the New England Patriots and Evan Landi signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

After the draft in New York, the Big Apple didn’t see the last of USF.

On April 30, the USF men’s golf team was featured prominently in NYC’s Times Square after winning the Big East Championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA Regionals which will take place May 16-18. The NCAA men’s golf championship begins May 28.

The Bulls were tied through 15 holes before making school history as the school’s fifth Big East Champion at the time. Coming up big in the back nine, USF went seven under and finished the day at six under, four shots ahead of the second place St. John’s.

The same day Barrington and Daniels were drafted to the NFL, the softball team beat Syracuse in the first game of the final series of the regular season. Wining the series 2-1, the Bulls went on to win the Big East Championship at the USF softball stadium. With two shutout wins, and a victory over Notre Dame, the Bulls became the sixth team in school history to become Big East champions.

Celebrating more than just the end of final exams, USF athletes and Bulls fans had many reasons to rejoice between the fall and summer semesters.