‘Gatsby’ soundtrack surpasses movie

Though Baz Luhrmann’s interpretation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s beloved novel remains up for debate, the soundtrack produced by Jay-Z is topping charts. 

Jay-Z seems to make the eclectic compilation of artists like will.i.am, Lana Del Rey, Florence + The Machine, Gotye, Andre 3000 and more work. 

There are songs that have hints of the 1920s jazz scene mixed with today’s rap scene, but most are soon-to-be hits from this era’s artists.   

Here are the top five songs from the album:

“Young & Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey – 

The song encompasses the glamour of the 20s era while exhibiting the nature of the relationship between the lead characters Daisy and Gatsby.

“Bang Bang” by will.i.am – 

Will.i.am begins the song with a ’20s style jazzy scat and then leads it into a techno dance hit. The song was a great soundtrack to the epic party scene at Gatsby’s mansion.

“No Church in the Wild” by Jay-Z and Kanye West (featuring Frank Ocean and The Dream) – 

The song is a great collaboration of the artists and displays each individual talent well. The song was a great choice for the theatrical trailers as it created a mysterious and dramatic tone that surrounds the film.

“Back to Black” by André 3000 and Beyoncé – 

The duo brings Amy Winehouse’s hit back to life with a new twist. Though the song doesn’t fit well with the movie, it has a flow that will allow it to stand on it’s own.

“100$ Bill” by Jay-Z – 

This song was the most noticeably out-of-place song throughout the entire film.  However, Jay-Z delivers with this tune which will be sure to be a huge radio hit due to it’s lyrical style and beats that Jay-Z is known for.