Selvie heads back to Tampa after signing with Buccaneers

The signing of former USF standout, defensive end George Selvie, was announced Tuesday as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers added him to their roster.

Selvie, who was originally drafted in the seventh round of the 2010 draft by the St. Louis Rams, will enter his fourth NFL team as he heads back to familiar land with the Bucs.

The Pensacola native started his rookie year with the Rams as a reserve playing in all 16 games and recording 1.5 sacks and 13 tackles. After being waived, Selvie was picked up by the Carolina Panthers, but after four games was released.

Selvie’s last stop before coming back to Tampa wasn’t too far away. After signing with the Jaguars in Jacksonville last season, he saw action in nine games, posting 10 tackles with one sack.

It’s clear that Selvie, who played alongside New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul as a Bull, hasn’t stepped it up in the NFL as of yet.

Some may refer to him as a “late bloomer” when it comes to being in the pros. That’s understandable, considering Selvie didn’t just make history for USF and the Big East, but for the NCAA as a whole.

Selvie was one of the most acclaimed players in Big East history. He was the only two-time All-American in USF history and was a semi-finalist for every major defensive award. Big East aside, Selvie’s name is down in the NCAA record books, finishing his 2009 season with most career tackles for a loss among active players in the NCAA totaling 69.5 and was 5.5 away from tying an NCAA record. He also finished that year, his last season at USF, ranking No. 4 in career sacks among active NCAA players with 29.

Selvie’s status as a late bloomer could mean that he may just become another body in training camp for the Bucs, but if that’s not the case and Selvie sees action next year, USF fans could enjoy seeing a familiar face take the field at Raymond James Stadium next season.