Bulls sweep Cincinnati, going 3-0 in Big East

USF’s first five batters combined for 15 hits and 16 RBIs to take three games from Cincinnati over the weekend.

“They had good at-bats all weekend,” USF coach Lelo Prado said.

More than 1,000 spectators witnessed one of USF senior outfielder Alex Mendez’s best performances at the plate in USF’s 8-3 victory in the opening game of the series against the Wildcats.

The left-fielder batted in the No. 2 spot and went 4-4 with an RBI and hit three doubles in his final three at bats.

Mendez has been on a tear of late, getting 14 hits in his last 30 at bats.

“He’s locked in right now,” Prado said.

The series against the Wildcats (7-13, 0-3) was suspended on Friday and continued on Saturday due to inclement weather.

Senior catcher Chris Norton lifted USF (13-11, 3-0) with a huge double to help the team come away with an 8-4 win in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader.

The senior slugger batted out of the fifth slot in the lineup and drove in three base runners with his hit in the third inning, where USF scored all of its runs.

USF junior outfielder James Ramsey took his at-bats from the three hole, went 3-4 and scored two runs to help USF defeat Cincinnati 8-5 in the closing game of the series on Sunday.

The game was knotted up at four until the centerfielder tripled and scored a run courtesy of cleanup hitter Jimmy Falla’s RBI single in the fifth.

Prado said he believes that confidence is what is causing the top half of the line-up to perform well.

“They’re getting more comfortable in their roles and doing the right things,” Prado said.

USF (13-11) is scheduled to play the final game of its four-game home series versus No. 26 FGCU (15-5) at 7 p.m on Tuesday, before heading on the road to play Georgetown on Thursday.