Silly girl, technology is for boys

Behold, fair maidens of the world. A new product has been designed just for us.

No, its not BICs Pen for Her designed specially in pastel colors with an elegant design to accentuate the slender hands of females. Nor is it the bottle of bright pink and curly-fonted Chick Beer, designed with a light taste for chicks nights out for the dainty palettes of a gender who shouldnt have to put up with the strong tastes of a mans drink.

Newest in the line of painfully existent products designed specifically for fellow card-carrying members of the double X-chromosomed species is the ePad Femme.

Designed by Eurostar, a United Arab Emirates based-company, this dumbed-down, bright pink version of the iPad is the first tablet designed exclusively for women complete with pre-loaded apps, so girls of the world wont have to lose a wink of beauty sleep or let their little heads get befuddled with complex topics like technology.

It makes a perfect gadget for a woman who might find difficulties in terms of downloading these applications and it is a quick reference, Mani Nair, Associate Vice President for Marketing at Eurostar Group said when the product was released.

The pre-loaded apps include a grocery list app, a yoga app, a recipes app, a pregnancy app and lo and behold, a weight loss tips app, since obviously every girl could do well with having tips on how to make herself a little more svelte thrown at her. But silly Eurostar forgot to load a few apps! This product, which has sold 7,000 units so far, should not have been allowed to hit the markets without a Make me a sandwich app or a Silly me! Where did I put my vacuum? app.

Why worry about the fact that according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as recently as 2012 women earned less than men in all but two occupations? It doesnt matter that only 27 percent of computer science jobs or 25 percent of science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) related fields are held by women, according to Forbes magazine and the National Journal, when you have products like these being designed to help us fuzzy-brained creatures get
through this complicated world a little bit easier, right?

While silly movements such as feminism and its bleeding-hearted pursuit of equality have tried to make us think we should have the ability to choose whether or not wed like to pursue the lifestyle of a demure Audrey Hepburn-a-la- Breakfast at Tiffanys, its the practical products like the ePad designed specifically for us to embrace the reality of our situation.

Sarcasm and fluttering eyelashes aside, until foolish products like these have zero sales and corporations can begin to see themselves profiting from eliminating gender inequality, the 21st century cannot expect itself to progress fully from its hidebound ways of years past. And hitting a glass ceiling or living without equal wages is just not a cute look for a girl.

Divya Kumar is a junior majoring in mass communications and economics.