Jackson helps Bulls extend win streak to five

With two more wins againstCentral Michigan on Wednesday night, USF softball is back above .500 and has now won five games in a row for the first time this season.

Were starting to cometogether as a team. Everything is starting to flow right, junior power-hitter Stephanie Medina said, Itsexciting.

The star of the evening was USF senior Kenshyra Jackson, who belted two home runs against the Chippewas.

In the second game, Jackson grabbed a 3-1 lead for the Bulls in the first inning when she hit her second home run of the night, a three-run shot that landed on top of the USF training facility in left field.

Jackson, who also hit a home run last Wednesday againstFlorida, has improved her approach at the plate.

Im going in with a clear mind and swinging softer, she said. Softer swings mean bigger hits.

Freshman Lee Ann Spivey hit her first career home run as a Bull, a deep solo shot to left field to make it 4-1 in the fourth inning.

When she sees the ball and doesnt try to over do it, shes very dangerous at the plate, coach Ken Eriksen said.

In the first game, the Bulls jumped out to a 1-0 second inning lead when Jackson smashed her first home run of the night.

The Chippewas scored anunearned run in the third inning to even the score, but the tie didnt last long, as USF junior Courtney Goff, who went 2 for 2 in the game, scored on a bunt by Medina.

I know that no matter where Im batting in the lineup, if coach calls on me to bunt, then Ive got to do my job, Medina said.

Medina also had three hits in the first game, and started to drive the ball with more authority.

Ive focused on getting more comfortable and into the flow of things, it helps that Im seeing the ball come out of the pitchers hand now, she said.

Senior Lindsey Richardson allowed two hits in four and2/3 innings in the first game and earned her fourth win of the year, then junior Sara Nevins pitched2 1/3 innings in relief and notched her third save.

Eriksen said he is happy with the way his team has responded.

Our pitchers are getting out of major jams, Eriksen said. The team is playing like little girls again and having fun like I kept telling them.

USF is now 11-10 and havent lost since last Wednesdays game against Florida.

Weve gotten comfortable and put our nose to the grindstone,Eriksen said.

The Bulls will play 10 games before the end of spring break on March 18.

The action begins Friday at the USF softball stadium against South Carolina and UMASS, followed by a Saturday contest against Wagner at the Eddie C. Moore Complex in Clearwater.

USF has home games against Quinnipiac and Maine on March 12, against Boston University on March 13, against Liberty and Iowa State on March 15 beforefinishing off spring break March 16 in Clearwater against LIU and Rhode Island.