Student Government reaches out to students

Students will be able to find free lemonade and snacks today around campus, as part of Student Governments (SG) Reach Week.

Student Body President Brian Goff said the week, which features free food and meet-and-greets with SG representatives, is part of an initiative to make SG more accessible to students.

We want to connect with the student body, Goff said. We want to let them know how to contact us and the times we are available for them.

Reach Week began Tuesday evening with a kickoff event in the Marshall Student Center (MSC) Ballroom between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Today, Student Body Vice-President George Papadeas and other SG members will hand out
lemonade and cookies to students at Bull Market outside the MSC between 10 a.m. and noon. Goff said the lemonade stands would allow students to voice their concerns to SG representatives.

We hope to talk to a lot of students, he said. We just want to make sure we are really energetic and enthusiastic for the students this week.

SG has also sponsored an ice cream truck to drive around campus between 1 p.m. and
3 p.m. today to provide free ice cream.

At Tuesdays SG Senate meeting, Goff said he thinks the truck will stop at different locations, including outside the MSC Computer Lab and the parking lots outside the library and the Juniper-Poplar residence halls.

Goff will also visit the Lakeland campus for a Meet Your Student Government event between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. today, and he and Papadeas will have open office hours in the MSC atrium between noon and 5 p.m. on Thursday for students to voice their opinions to them.

Ending the week will be an SG Open House event on Friday, in which students can come to the SG offices in MSC 4300 between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. to learn more about how SG operates. Goff said he and other SG members will be available to tell how they can help students on a day-to-day basis.

Shirley Ziton, a junior majoring in biomedical sciences and psychology, said she has had trouble reaching SG in the past. She said she and her friends complained to SG about smoking policies on campus, and have voiced their opinions on creating more places on campus that are smoker-friendly.

I cant stand Student Government, she said. The (Reach Week) events sound cool. They need to make these events more publicized for students, but they should be putting their money and resources to better use.

But students such as Alex Parker, a junior majoring in international studies who said he is active on campus, said they never had trouble reaching SG.

I know they are accessible, Parker said. I just have to go up to the fourth floor where they are.