Weiner leaves after short stay

After less than a day on the job, Robert Weiner, who had been tapped by coach Willie Taggart on Monday to serve as receivers coach for the USF football team, had a change of heart.

Taggart announced in a statement Tuesday morning thatWeiner decided toreturn to his position as head football coach for Plant High School, where he had been for nine seasons.

Weiner reportedly called the Plant principalMonday night to say he was having second thoughts and confirmed earlyTuesday morning. Taggarts statement was released by 8:45 a.m.

Coach Weiner is a great coach and a man who will continue to do great things at Plant, Taggart said in a statement. We knew pulling him away from the young men in the Plant program would be very difficult for him, and we wish him continued tremendous success moving forward.

Weiner held a pressconference at Plant onTuesday afternoon in which he thanked USF between tears for the offer and commended Taggart and many of the
players he met Monday.

USF did absolutely nothing wrong, he said at the press conference. They were nothing but great to me … Its a dream, per se, that so many high school coaches have, to be able to pursue getting a college job and maybe moving up the ranks … The truth is, that was never really my dream.

Taggart still has five empty assistant coach
positions.

Staff report